Taking advantage of natural light with windows is an excellent way to lower your energy consumption and save on heating and cooling costs. The goal is to use the least amount of electric-generated light during the day by maximizing the utilization of natural light. Follow these useful tips to get the most out of the sun’s rays and become less reliant on electricity to illuminate rooms in the morning or afternoon.
- The window is the key to daylighting. The goal is to let as much natural light inside a room as possible, so that it would be bright enough to eliminate the need to use electricity. You should consider getting a window replacement for your Bellevue home that you can not only use for daylighting, but also for modern features that make it energy efficient.
- Remember that balancing the light that a room receives is also important to avoid hot spots and glare.
- Light that enters a window is reflected by interior walls, which diffuse the light and provide even lighting.
- Reflective ground surfaces are best for windows facing north or south, but not for those facing east or west because that can increase glare.
- Your windows should be correctly oriented towards the sun. South facing windows would normally get the most light. North-facing windows are ideal if you want ambient light as the rays are softer but too much can mean more heat loss. Windows facing east and west are the hardest to shade.
- You may also want to choose lighter colors for your window frames and walls as they reflect the light more than dark colors. Glossy paints might create glare though, so beware.
- If you want to have better control of your windows, you can use blinds or louvers to direct the light that enters the window.
- You can always add more windows to your home if you feel you need more. The best thing to do is call a reliable window company for expert advice.
If you are thinking about getting gliding windows for your Bellevue home, consider these tips for natural light and you will find yourself saving more on your utility bills.
Consult Renewal by Andersen® of Seattle to get your old windows replaced with newer more efficient ones. Give us a call at (206) 777-0954 for a FREE in-home consultation.