Keeping your windows clean is important year-round, but particularly so during the winter when more grime tends to build up on the glass. Fortunately, window cleaning isn’t too onerous if you have the right supplies. Read on as we share some handy tips.
Things You Need
The good news is you shouldn’t need to spend much money on supplies–in fact, many of the window cleaning materials you need should already be in your household. These include a sea sponge, a squeegee for wiping off the excess water, a ladder and a homemade cleaning solution. Here are a few options for the cleaning solution:
- Alcohol-Based — 3 tbs rubbing alcohol, ? cup white vinegar, spray bottle with cold water
- Salt-Based — 1/8 cup salt, spray bottle with cold water (mixed)
- Vinegar-Based — 1/8 cup white vinegar, spray bottle with cold water
Steps for Cleaning
You should clean your windows on an overcast day. Here are the steps to follow:
- Assemble supplies. Put on boots and waterproof rubber gloves; then gather your supplies.
- Work on one window at a time. Spray each unit with the cleaning solution of your choice. The unit should be evenly covered with solution, but not dripping. Bring your squeegee down the entire glass pane from the top and work from left to right. You can use dry towels to wipe the excess after each pass.
- Wipe off the corners. Don’t forget about the corners and edges. Keep them polished until the window is completely dry. This will help ensure that there are no streaks.
Look no further than Renewal by Andersen® of Seattle for high-quality, durable replacement windows. We offer industry-leading warranties. Contact us at (206) 970-8976 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation. We work with homeowners in Seattle, WA.